October 2022 will see the implementation of The Department of Health and Social Care High in Fat, Sugar and Salt (HFSS) Legislation.
The legislation prohibits the sale of promotional offers (e.g., 50% free and Buy One Get One Free deals) and the display of HFSS products in specifical sale areas – such as store entrances, checkouts, end of aisles and queuing areas, and all online equivalents.
Who is affected?
All retailers who trade under symbol franchises (Spar, Costcutter, Nisa), shops exceeding 2,000 square foot and those with more than 50 employees.
What restrictions will be in place?
- HFSS products will be prohibited from display in the following areas:
– Within two metres of a checkout area
– Within two metres of a designated queueing area
– In an end of aisle display
– At the entrance to the store
- Promotions restricted:
– Multibuy (2 for 1 offers)
– Extra Free (50% extra free deals, BOGOF)
* Meal Deals and ‘Dine in for Two’ style promotions exempt from the regulations
Categories of food affected (pre-packaged only)
|Soft drinks with added sugar||Crisps + savoury snacks|
|Cakes||Chips + similar potato products|
|Sweet biscuits||Morning goods (e.g., pastries)|
|Juices with added sugar||Milk drinks with added sugar|
* Some individual products in these categories may not be in scope of the regulations, depending on their Nutritional Profiling Score.